Advocacy Week is about giving a voice to over 20,000 post secondary students across Nova Scotia. In this annual conference, Students Nova Scotia helps set the direction of post secondary education. Student leaders meet with MLAs and other decision makers to put forth the issues that matter most for students.
This year, Students Nova Scotia met with over half of Nova Scotia’s MLAs, as well as many other stakeholders including the Department of Advanced Education and the Association of Atlantic Universities. Students are very happy with the reception they got and look forward to continuing to work with MLAs and Minister of Labour and Advanced Education, Labi Kousoulis, to move forward on our recommendations.
Advocacy Week 2017 brought forward 7 recommendations in 5 key areas:
- Student Financial Aid
- Recommendation #1: Re-Invest Tuition and Education Tax Credits into Upfront Grants
- Recommendation #2: Introduce Loan forgiveness for Nova Scotia Community College Students
- Recommendation #3: Provide Medical Services Insurance coverage to International Students Immediately Upon Arrival
- Recommendation #4: Expand the Student Summer Skills Incentive to Increase Opportunities for Students
- Recommendation #5: Invest in Innovative, Technology-Based Intervention Solutions on Post-Secondary Campuses
- Recommendation #6 Amend the Municipal Elections Act
- Recommendation #7 Explore Provincial Fixed Election Dates
For complete details regarding our recommendations click here: 2017 Advocacy Document